Friday, December 4, 2009

The Two S's: Scholarships & Spearfish- Two AMAZING things:)

Good Afternoon on this beautifully frigid winter day! Yes, I said "beautifully" frigid. Even though it has been quite cold the past few days, the Christmas spirit is certainly making it's way out into the world and it is definitely starting to show. We held our 3rd Preview Day for the semester today and welcomed close to 100 students and guests on to campus. What a great day it turned out to be! I hope that all of you attendees took at least one thing from the program today, and are able to use that to make your college decision. We are definitely here to answer any questions/concerns at any time, and can be reached via email at admissions@bhsu.edu, or by calling 1-800-ALL-BHSU.

Scholarship deadlines are fast approaching! This is not only so for the BHSU Scholarship application, but also for outside scholarships available from area businesses. I know what most of you are doing, which is PRO-CRAST-IN-ATING! I was there once, in your shoes and believe me, I wanted to do the same thing. However, I pulled myself out of the dark hole which is "senioritis" and committed myself to working on scholarship applications every day after school until they were done. Let me tell you- it paid off!! Please, for once, follow in my footsteps on this one and get those apps filled out and submitted. In a few mere weeks we will start to sit down and browse through the piles of scholarship applications. I sure hope to see one from you in that pile!

Now, on to another amazing thing that also starts with an "s"- SPEARFISH! Black Hills State University is located in Spearfish, SD. With approximately 12,500 residents, Spearfish is truly a small community with big town atmosphere. There are so many things to do here! I now live in Rapid City, but I must tell you, Spearfish has been by far my favorite place I have lived thusfar. The atmophere is a perfect mix of "artsy" individuals, outdoor enthusiasts, college students, retirees, and families. With so much to do both indoors and out, you can't go wrong! You can find some great information about Spearfish and the surrounding area on the chamber website, which is http://www.spearfishchamber.org/. Happy exploring!

I hope you all have a great weekend. If you live around the area, come up to Spearfish and do a little exploring of your own if you have time. If you don't live around the area, come up and visit us. We would love to show you around.

Maria Hartung
BHSU Admissions Counselor
GO YELLOWJACKETS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment