Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Less than a week until classes start!

Welcome to Blog number 3, ladies and gentlemen. For those of you new to this blog, my name is Kyle and I’m a senior here at Black Hills State University, majoring in Speech Communication with a minor in Military Science. I’m writing this blog to provide you with a current student’s perspective on life at our campus.


With less than a week before classes start I can’t help but sit back and ask myself, “Where did the summer go?” Even though I have done this for a few years I find myself slightly unprepared every fall. I need to get my books, my supplies, print my schedule, and figure out my new work schedule. It seems like quite a bit until I stop and tell myself that I honestly do have a week to get that all knocked out. A little bit here, a little bit there, and before I know it, I’m ready to rock and roll.


Around campus it’s kind of exciting right now. The Residence Halls are gearing up for all of the new and returning students to move in. Decorations are going up. Things are getting painted. The Resident Assistants are running all over campus training and preparing. We have football players and volleyball players moved in and practicing, so The Hive (our dining facility) is open and serving food.


Sunday morning the new freshman students are moving in. You guys will be rolling in from 8:00AM to 12:00PM and the Residence Life office has lined up a whole group of helpful individuals (including myself) to help move your stuff in to your new place. If you’re looking for a few recommendations on making move in easier, here are a few from a guy that has done it once or twice. Those cheep plastic tubs you can buy at department stores are handy as all get out. How handy is all get out? They can ride in the back of a truck without stuff flying out. They can stack easily when packing. They make carrying your things in easier. You can use them as storage in your room, and just as important- they’re nice to have around when it’s time to move out or go home for a longer break. Other than that, there are just a few little things to remember. You can’t use extension cords, but you can use power-strips. You can’t have toasters or any other appliance with an open heating coil but you can have microwaves. Candles are not allowed but wick-less candles on warmers are.


On Monday, the 30th of this month, we will be allowing students who have not registered for classes one more opportunity to do so. General Registration will consist of two sessions, one at 8:30AM and a second at 10:30AM. If you would like to register for classes at either of those two times you need to call (605)642-6343.
Well, that’s about all I have today. I wish you all happy moving and registering and I hope you all enjoy this last week of summer!

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment