Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Getting Back Into the Swing of Things

Hey, everybody. For those of you new to the blog, my name is Kyle. I’m a senior at Black Hills State University majoring in Speech Communication with a minor in Military Science. I write on the blog about once a week to give prospective students a little insight about what life at BHSU is all about.

So, school this week has been a little hectic, but it always is until you find your rhythm. I seem to have more credits than I care to talk about, but the upside is that, for the first time since I became a student in the fall of 2006, I do NOT have a math class! You may love math, and for that I applaud you jealously. That being said, math and I have a pretty poor relationship. My classes this year are all upper level classes, but that’s kind of cool. I get to study a specific subject much more in-depth and it just makes it more interesting. I’m kind of a fan of history and in the early history classes you race through the Civil War in about a day or two. This semester I am in a class that is nothing but the Civil War. You history-haters out there are rolling your eyes, but my inner-history-nerd is giggling like a small child.

I think the toughest part of getting back into the swing of things is getting organized. I have found that I need all my subjects to go into one BIG binder rather than individual notebooks or I mix them up. The last thing you want is to have Physical Geology notes strung between five different notebooks. Some people need the separation. It’s all about knowing yourself and what the best organizational method for you is. I even go so far as to print out a blank calendar and place it as the 1st thing I see in the binder so assignments and things are easily kept track of.
The next big challenge of the semester is trying to get back into the swing of actively using my email. Your university email is so important to keep track of. The school sends important information to you that way. Most professors communicate the best that way. Student organizations would much rather send one email than call 25 people. Even my job on campus communicates with me pretty regularly via email. I recommend getting in the habit of checking it daily.

Well, that’s all I have for today. For those of you who are in college, keep on trucking. The light at the end of the tunnel is a lot closer than you think. For those of you who are in high school just thinking about where you want to go, now is the time to start visiting your top 3 to 5 universities and nailing down a decision. The sooner you apply, the sooner you are accepted. Then you can send in housing contracts and fill out your FAFSA and when you set foot here next fall you will do so relaxed, knowing that you took your time and did it right.

Kyle Wade
BHSU Senior
Speech Communications Major
Kyle.Wade@yellowjackets.bhsu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment